Originally from Nova Scotia’s South Shore, Linda Hupman has called Truro, NS home since 1996. She earned her Bachelor of Arts at Acadia University and later went on to the University of New Brunswick for her law degree. Linda articled with Burchell MacDougall before joining the firm as an associate in 1997.
Linda’s practice includes what she describes as “a wide variety of things.”
For the past 15 years, her main focus has been as a research lawyer, doing in-depth, high-level legal research for clients and other lawyers at Burchell MacDougall. “I find the answers to the really tough questions,” she explains. She also does some civil litigation and wills and estates.
Linda is also a Federal Crown Agent and in that capacity prosecutes cases under federal jurisdiction, such as the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act .
Linda oversees the firm’s library resources, ensuring there are up to date materials on hand for the firm’s lawyers. She also acts as the supervising lawyer for Burchell MacDougall’s articling clerks each year.
In her free time, Linda volunteers with a number of community organizations, including the Zonta Club of Truro Area, the Canadian Mental Health Association – Colchester-East Hants Branch’s annual Women and Wellness event and the Cobequid Dog Club.
Along with her two dogs, Angus and Yogi, Linda enjoys the outdoors through walking, hiking and snowshoeing. They also participate in competitive dog sports, travelling around the region for trials and competitions.
- Legal Research
- Civil Litigation
- Wills and Estates
Professional Qualifications & Education:
- Nova Scotia Bar Admission 1997
- Acadia University (B.A., 1974)
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B., 1996)
Professional Associations & Membership in Community Organizations:
- Member, Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Board Member, Truro Boy’s & Girls Club
- Member, Citizen Advisory Committee for Nova Scotia Institution for Women
- Member, Truro and Area Zonta Club
- Incorporation of Companies
- Advice and Preparation of Shareholder’s Agreements
- Preparation of Partnership Agreements
- Amalgamation and reorganization of companies
- Employment law issues
- Legal Research, on-line and resources to research all types of legal topics and issues for lawyers and clients
- Commercial Litigation
- Representing persons and companies in contract disputes
- Representing persons with Personal Injury claims
- Resolving land ownership questions under the Quieting of Titles Act
- Partition Act applications to divide land among owners
Probate, Estates, Wills and Trusts
- Preparation of Wills
- Preparation of Powers of Attorney