Originally from Saint John, Brian Stillwell attended the University of New Brunswick for his undergraduate degree. He was in the midst of completing a Master’s in economics when the law caught his interest.
Brian remained at the University of New Brunswick for his law studies and “fell in love with the law.”
After passing the bar in 1976, Brian spent some time in private practice in Saint John before moving to Bridgewater and working for a business development bank in Halifax.
While with the bank, Brian gained experience in the areas of foreclosure, commercial and banking law.
After deciding to return to private practice, he joined Burchell MacDougall’s Truro office in 1986. Brian’s practice focuses on insolvency and commercial law.
With 40 years behind him, Brian says, “My experience benefits my clients, as does my love for what I do.”
Outside of the office, he enjoys spending time with his wife of 38 years, as well as taking drives from his home in Bedford to Crystal Crescent Beach and Bridgewater.
- Corporate Commercial Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Tax Law
- Insolvency & Reorganizations
- Environmental Law
Professional Qualifications & Education:
- New Brunswick Bar Admission 1976
- Nova Scotia Bar Admission 1978
- University of New Brunswick (B.A.(Hons.), 1971)
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B., 1976)
Professional Associations & Membership in Community Organizations:
- Member, Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Frequent lecturer on matters involving corporate, commercial and insolvency law for the Institute of Canadian Bankers, New Brunswick Continuing Legal Education, Nova Scotia Bar Admission Course, and local business groups and organizations.
Corporate Commercial Law
- Providing advice on corporate matters
- Representing clients in the purchase or sale of companies
- Preparing agreements for corporations, including shareholder and franchise agreements
- Negotiating and preparing commercial lease agreements
- Advising clients on commercial litigation
- Bringing and defending commercial lawsuits
- Negotiating and resolving commercial disputes of all kinds
- Collecting monies owed to clients
- Providing income tax and other taxation advice and representation
- Designing numerous complex tax efficient corporations and reorganizations
- Estate planning and succession plans for businesses
Insolvency & Reorganizations
- Advising clients respecting insolvency and Reorganzations
- Restructuring companies in financial difficulty
- Acting for Trustees in Bankruptcy, Receivers of insolvent companies and Bankrupt clients
- Providing advice
- Advising clients respecting environmental laws, regulations and requirements
- Defending alleged environmental offences