For Stephen Topshee, there’s nothing more rewarding than helping those who need it most.
“I give a voice to those who otherwise would not have one, and give assistance to those who are not in the position to fight on their own behalf,” he explains.
Born and raised in Truro, Steve is one of 10 children. He graduated from St. Francis Xavier University with Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education degrees, followed by a Master of Arts from Gonzaga University.
After graduating from the University of New Brunswick with his LL.B. in 1989, Steve returned to Truro to begin his practice with Burchell MacDougall. He is now a partner with the firm.
Steve has been practicing personal injury law and handling Long Term Disability, Canada Pension Plan and Workers’ Compensation Board appeals for over 25 years.
With his experience, he knows how the appeal systems work and can help his clients navigate the process. He has also represented personal injury claims in all levels of court, and has successfully achieved large settlements.
“I’m committed to ensuring my clients receive fair compensation for all claims, Steve says, “Be it personal injury, motor vehicle accidents, fatalities resulting from negligence, long term disability appeals or Canada Pension disability appeals.”
When not at work, Steve enjoys spending time with his family and participating in the local golf, baseball and hockey sporting communities.
- Personal Injury
- Disability and CPP Claims
- Wills and Estates
Professional Qualifications & Education:
- Nova Scotia Bar Admission (1990)
- St. Francis Xavier University (B.A., 1980; B.Ed., 1981)
- Gonzaga University (M.A., 1985)
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B., 1989)
Professional Associations & Membership in Community Organizations:
- Nova Scotia Barrister’s Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Executive Director, Nova Scotia Nurses’ Union (2003-2006)
- Legal Advisor for the Nova Scotia Blind Golfers’ Association
- Former President, Truro and Area Minor Hockey Association
- Former Board Member, Truro Sport Heritage Society
- Coach, Truro and Area Minor Hockey Association
- Former Legal Counsel for World Under 17 Hockey Challenge
- Represented many individuals injured in accidents
- Represented dependents in fatal accidents
- Advanced and recovered claims for past and future income loss and personal care costs
Wills, Estates, and Trusts
- Provided advice and prepared wills and powers of attorney
- Probated wills and advised executors and administrators on the administration of estates
- Successfully represented Accused Persons in Sexual Assault trials
- Representing Accused Persons in Breathalyzer cases
- Representing Accused Persons at Trials
- Representing Accused Persons at Appeals
- Representing in Bail Applications
- Sentencing hearings
- Weapons Offenses and other Criminal Code offenses