As an undergraduate business student at Cape Breton University, Travis Durdle wasn’t sure where he was headed. But a small push from a favourite professor sent him on the path to Dalhousie Law School, and Burchell MacDougall.
“With my BBA, I was automatically drawn to corporate commercial law,” Travis explains. And he appreciates the unique perspective and knowledge that comes with practicing business law in a small town.
“It gives me the ability to see the whole picture, the direction clients want to take with their businesses, and have a fuller understanding of the legal and business issues they face.”
Travis also works on tax, labour law and litigation cases since joining the firm, and enjoys the opportunity to gain experience in different areas of the law.
On working at Burchell MacDougall, where lawyers are known to stay for a long time, Travis says, “It provides a sense of security. You know can put down roots here and not worry about moving to another place in a few short years.”
Travis also enjoys the work/life balance working in Truro provides. As a new lawyer, he’s still working on that balance, but he spends his free time golfing, and hiking the local parks and trails.
While he can’t seem to find a good pick-up game in town, Travis shares his love of basketball in the fall, assistant coaching the Cobequid Educational Centre JV team.
- Corporate / Commercial
- Estate Planning
Professional Qualifications & Education:
- Nova Scotia Bar Admission 2015
- Dalhousie University (Juris Doctor, 2014)
- Cape Breton University (Bachelor of Business Admin. w/ Concentrations in Finance and Economics, 2010)
- Canadian Bar Association, Tax Law for Lawyers (2016)
Professional Associations & Membership in Community Organizations:
- Member, Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Director and Secretary, Colchester Residential Services Society
Corporate / Commercial
- Advising on the establishment of sole proprietorships, partnerships and corporations
- Drafting agreements respecting commercial matters
- Providing advice on corporate and commercial matters
- Advise on shareholder disputes and other shareholder related issues
- Drafting of shareholder agreements
- Advising on and executing corporate reorganizations
- Advising on the purchase and sale of businesses
- Drafting of wills and trusts to achieve specified estate planning goals
- Providing advice on estate planning matters
- Acting for lenders in respect of foreclosure on commercial properties