As an undergraduate business student at Cape Breton University, Travis wasn’t sure where he was headed but a small push from a favourite professor sent him on the path to Dalhousie Law School, and Burchell MacDougall LLP.
With a background of finance and economics from obtaining a business degree, it made sense to pursue opportunities in business law, and he appreciates the unique perspective and knowledge that comes with practicing business law in a small town.
“It gives me the ability to see the whole picture, the direction clients want to take with their businesses, and have a fuller understanding of the legal and business issues they face.”
Travis also works on tax, estate planning and other matters related to his clients’ businesses and enjoys the opportunity to gain experience in different areas of the law; “working with small and medium sized businesses really engages you with a variety of different issues.”
Working at Burchell MacDougall LLP, where lawyers are known to stay for a long time “provides a sense of security. You know can put down roots here and not worry about moving to another place in a few short years.”
Travis also enjoys the work/life balance working in Truro provides; “Truro is great in that you can live, work and play all within a 5 or 10 minute walk of downtown.” Travis puts this in practice by spending his free time golfing, hiking the local parks and trails, or taking in shows at the Marigold Cultural Centre.
In addition to these pursuits, Travis enjoys supporting the local community in other ways and is member of the board of directors and the corporate secretary for the Colchester Residential Services Society, a support provider for children and adults with disabilities in Colchester County.
- Corporate / Commercial
- Estate Planning
Professional Qualifications & Education:
- Nova Scotia Bar Admission 2015
- Dalhousie University (Juris Doctor, 2014)
- Cape Breton University (Bachelor of Business Admin. w/ Concentrations in Finance and Economics, 2010)
- Canadian Bar Association, Tax Law for Lawyers (2016)
Professional Associations & Membership in Community Organizations:
- Member, Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Director and Secretary, Colchester Residential Services Society
Corporate / Commercial
- Advising on the establishment of sole proprietorships, partnerships and corporations
- Drafting agreements respecting commercial matters
- Providing advice on corporate and commercial matters
- Advise on shareholder disputes and other shareholder related issues
- Drafting of shareholder agreements
- Advising on and executing corporate reorganizations
- Advising on the purchase and sale of businesses
- Drafting of wills and trusts to achieve specified estate planning goals
- Providing advice on estate planning matters
- Acting for lenders in respect of foreclosure on commercial properties