Originally from Brudenell, Prince Edward Island, Linda Wood attended Mount Allison University for her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.
Prior to that, she spent two years studying at the Lester B. Pearson United World College of the Pacific, a scholarship program for students from around the world to promote international peace and understanding.
With a mind to using her skills and strengths to help people, she decided on a career in law and attended McGill University for her degree.
Throughout and after law school, Linda worked with the Public Legal Education and Information Service of New Brunswick. She eventually settled in Elmsdale, Nova Scotia where she worked with a local firm before leaving to start her own practice.
“Shortly after I opened my office, I had a call from Burchell MacDougall,” she recalls, “They were looking to set up an office in Elmsdale and wanted me to be a part of it. That was in 2010, and I haven’t looked back.”
Linda’s practice focuses primarily on property law and estate planning, and she enjoys the people-centred aspect of her work.
“I use my ability to cut through the complexity of law to make sure my clients understand what’s happening and what their options are,” she explains, “I love hearing someone say, ‘Well, that was painless.’ at the end of the process.”
Linda is Past President of the East Hants & Districts Chamber of Commerce. She serves on the chamber’s Education Committee, connecting local businesses with the training they need to grow. She is also a founding member of the Hants East Assisting Refugees Team (HEART) Society, helping refugee families settle in the community, and a member of Enfield Earthkeeper’s Association.
- Wills and Estates
- Corporate Commercial
Professional Qualifications & Education:
- Nova Scotia Bar Admission 1999
- McGill University (LL.B. 1997)
- Mount Allison University (B.A. 1st Class Honours with Distinction, 1991)
Professional Associations & Membership in Community Organizations:
- Member, Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Member and Past co-chair, RELANS (Real Estate Lawyers Association of Nova Scotia)
- Past President, East Hants & Districts Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors)
- Member, Education Committee (East Hants & Districts Chamber of Commerce)
- Secretary, H.E.A.R.T. (Hants East Assisting Refugees Team) Society
- Member, Enfield Earthkeeper’s Association
- Converted many properties to Land Registration System (Migrations)
- Represented home buyers and home sellers, including condominiums
- Represented land developers on subdivisions
- Represented builders and buyers of new construction homes
Probate, Estates, Wills and Trusts
- Providing advice for Executors and Administrators
- Probating of wills and administration of intestate estates
- Preparation of wills
- Preparation of enduring powers of attorney and living wills
- Assisting in ancillary probate matters for non-residents with assets in Canada
Corporate Commercial Law
- Represented landlords and tenants on commercial leases
- Advised small business owners about incorporation
- Incorporated companies for small businesses
- Prepared shareholders agreements
- Represented clients in the purchase and sale of businesses